06 March 2008

On a Webcast and a Prayer

The highlight of the last few days was undoubtedly -- no, not Oprah's much anticipated webcast -- but a visit with my niece and nephew.

They, and their parents (my brother and sister-in-law), were visiting their grandparents in VA this week, so I got to take a day off from wallpaper removal (more on that another time) to play with them. The most memorable moment (among many) was when Calvin, who is three, led the prayer before dinner. After reciting several verses of "God is good, God is great..." he then declared that we would conclude the prayer by joining him in singing Johnny Appleseed -- "at a medium tempo." His words. So that's what we did.

It's no wonder, having spent just 24 hours with them, that his antics, and his sister's, provide constant content and inspiration for my sister-in-law's blog (which, if you want to check it out is at www.babsland.blogspot.com!]

As for the big Oprah Webcast, it was indeed big, but a bit of a let down, as my technology was less than cooperative. I got to hear most of the first 10 minutes of the program, missing only a word or two here and there due to hiccups in the audio. I found out some interesting things about Tolle's background and his writing habits. But after that, it all went downhill. The picture kept freezing and the audio would disappear at the same time, leaving large gaps in the conversation. It went something like this: Pretend that you don't know...we're so trapped in this continuous...thought, I could say that's the new...so my question...ummm, the absolute...box because I grew up in the Baptist...eloquently put...when you read it. [It's okay, it's not supposed to make any sense.]

What made it more disappointing was that I ended a long distance call with my husband, who is away for a couple of weeks, in order to watch it. That'll teach me. Hopefully they'll get some of the technical problems ironed out before next week. Meanwhile, I'll have to settle for a download or a written transcript.

No comments: