27 May 2008

Coming Soon...in Black and White!

There was an article in The Baltimore Sun's commentary section last week titled "Teaching to the test: Good teachers do it" which, as you might have guessed, caught my eye. My husband braced himself for my reaction as I read through the piece, and was surprised when I didn't blow up or start spouting expletives. I handed him the front page section so he could read it for himself and went on to the comics.

Turned out he was the one who was not fully satisfied with Walt Gardner's defense of teaching to the test. The discussion that followed reminded me that although Gardner (a former teacher himself) had made some valid points, he had also made some statements that got my teacher hackles up. I made a mental note to dedicate some of my morning's writing time to drafting a letter to the editor.

The draft incubated over the long holiday weekend, and I looked at it with fresh eyes this morning. At 337 words, it was a bit longer than the usual letter to the editor, but after a few revision passes, it was holding steady at 301 words and there was nothing more I could cut without compromising my message.

I copied it into an email and sent it on its way. No more than five minutes later, the phone rang and the voice on the machine was saying he would like to use my letter. I grabbed the phone and verified that it was indeed my letter and that I had sent it in, and the person on the other end told me it would appear later this week! How's that for instant results?! Would that every acceptance (or even rejection) came so quickly....

I hung up the phone and did some celebratory jumping around the kitchen before calling my husband to tell him the news. "They're going to publish my letter to the editor in the Sun!" While there are some who would say it's just an editorial, I have long been a believer in taking baby steps to make your dreams come true.

It may not be the novel, but it's a step in the right direction!

To read Gardner's piece, click on the link (underlined words). And of course, there will be a link to the printed version of my letter as soon as it appears in print! (I'll figure out how to do it by then.)

No comments: