05 November 2012

Synchronicity

When you're not used to churning out 1,500+ words a day, it can be hard to keep the ideas flowing. But this morning, the universe sent a little gift my way.

I decided to indulge in a crossword puzzle before settling down to write. I haven't been doing the puzzles on a daily basis lately, but for some reason it was calling to me today. And when I got to the clue for 20 Across -- "Second first lady" -- I found out why.

Gabby, my main character, made a guest appearance at the breakfast table, via the New York Times crossword puzzle. For those who may not know, Gabby's given name is Abigail Adams (yes, her dad is a history buff), and crossword puzzles play a significant role in the novel's plot. And there they were, joined together in the answer to 20 Across.

There she is -- at 20 Across (the first long one)

Feeling like Gabby was with me in spirit, I wrote one and a half new scenes (1,362 words) before breaking for a late lunch, vowing to return later in the afternoon to break the 2,000 word mark for the day. But when I got back to my desk, the momentum was gone. What to write? Where to next? (The eternal questions of the non-linear writer.)

That's when the universe threw a little more help my way. A mid-afternoon call from a friend who is also a writer came at the perfect time, a welcome distraction. And, as it turned out, she also provided some much needed direction. When I told my friend about Gabby's surprise visit in the puzzle, she said, "That has to go in the book somewhere!" So after we hung up, I gave it a go.

Another scene was born, and I surpassed the 2,000 word mark. Thanks to a little synchronicity.

No comments: